Saturday, October 24, 2009

What was I thinking?

Last Monday night Kevin gave a great FHE lesson on setting S.M.A.R.T. goals. S - specific, M - measurable, A - attainable, R - realistic, T - timed. As he was sharing his lesson the piano was in plain sight and I knew my goal needed to be regaining the skills I have lost by not playing consistently over the last 18 months. I have always wanted to play the piano but had never felt like I had the time and being an adult I thought it was too late to learn. Then my dad inspired me by starting to take lessons in his 60's. If he could do it then I could do it. I found a teacher and have taken lessons off and on over the last 10 years. I had gotten to a point where I was actually playing songs that I once thought were impossible. I'd look at the music and think "really?" there are way too many notes stacked up there for me to figure out, but I was getting there. Then home school arrived and piano went by the wayside. Over the last couple of months I have felt like it was time to get back at it but had not done anything about it. After Kevin's lesson I made a commitment to myself that I would get started. The next morning I opened an email from a friend who has a holiday music party every December at her home. She invites family and friends to share their talents and have a fun evening of socializing and sharing in their love of music. Under the influence of Kevin's lesson I sent her a reply committing to play a song at the party. I know that I have a fear of playing in public and felt I needed to challenge myself to overcome that fear so I replied while I was still thinking about the lesson and before I could talk myself out of it. Playing at the party would fulfill most of the criteria - it makes the goal specific, measurable, and timed. The question is, is it realistic and attainable? I have not played in public because I don't have the confidence that I can do it without panicking and hitting the wrong keys. It is now Saturday and I have practiced everyday but I find myself wondering more each day - "What on earth was I thinking?"

4 comments:

. said...

You are such an inspiration! Thanks for sharing. We actually use a similar model at work, but we use SMARTER (Specific, Measurable, Alignment, Realistic, Timebound, Engaging, and Reaching). :)

Andrea said...

I know you can do it!!! You play beautifully! Love you

Unknown said...

I dont know if you know this but i always loved hearing you play it helped bring the spirit into the home and you play beautifully, i know you can do it. Love you tons

Jennifer said...

You can do it! I believe in you! :)