Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Gotta love nature . . NOT!

Today I was leaving to take Kelly to work and noticed a guy on a bike at the end of my driveway. As I pulled out he was waving and pointing behind me. I thought maybe there was a small dog or a toy in the street so I rolled down my window to see what he was worried about - no dog, no toy, just a 3-4 foot rattlesnake!!!! It was heading right for the driveway. I called Katie in the house and told her not to let Tyler, Kevin or the dogs outside. I stopped at our neighbors house and asked him if he could take care of it since Joe, Brian and Greg were all gone. Being the wonderful guy that he is, he and his wife headed straight for the house to solve the problem. After a little snake wrangling Renee pinned it down while Vearl beheaded it. Thank heavens for great neighbors!! The guy on the bike did suggest that I just run over it and kill it but I couldn't do it. I don't know if that would have killed it or not but it would have bothered me too much. I feel bad enough having asked Vearl to do it but there are so many little kids in the neighborhood as well as dogs it had to go. :(

1 comment:

. said...

I didn't realize you live in the boonies!!!! :) I remember as a kid growing up on the outskirts of Vegas (Winterwood Blvd - around Sahara/Nellis) seeing snakes from time to time. One day while driving home we saw a sidewinder slithering down the road - pretty creepy!!!!

Glad you all are ok - be safe!